Nutrition in the elderly: fundamental factor for health
Old age is a time of much care as the body begins to show a decline in many ways one of which is metabolism, why nutrition begins to suffer repercussions if you can not devote the necessary care. For many people care for their elderly at home is not an option, so they have to look private rooms or public in that gives them the attention they need in every way.
Since the 65 and even 85 years the nutritional requirements of older people vary greatly, even when the person in question has some kind of chronic disease, as some like diabetes do not accept all types of food nutritional reducing the range of opportunities.
The amount of physical activity that adults perform also affects how well or poorly absorb what you eat, and if the elder has the potential to fend for itself or not, so you can not make a generalized diet for "seniors", but you can talk about certain requirements that can be taken into account to avoid excessive wear of both joints and circulatory system, respiratory and nervous:
- calories. Caloric requirements Seniors are reduced according to the reduced physical activity; if still you are consuming the same amount of calories and is performed less activity, the person is at risk for obesity, which in all cases hinders mobility.
- proteins. Due to the decline of the organism, people seniors take advantage proteins so less effective than younger people, so consumption should be reduced to 1 gram per kilo of weight, namely, an adult should take only one daily serving of fish, a cheese and egg or white meat.
- Legumes and cereals. This group of foods are an excellent source of protein which also provide carbohydrates and fibers that are quite important in old age due to digestive difficulties that may actually arise.
- Grease. Animal fat is not recommended for elderly people; although it is recommended not eliminate, it is necessary to take small amounts to not raise cholesterol levels.
- Dairy products. Many elderly people have difficulty digesting dairy products as the years pass, it is important to take a day at least three glasses of milk, yogurt or cottage cheese for not having stomach problems but also lose protein and calcium that give us.
Old age is a stage of rest and tranquility, live it well eating healthily.